Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Happy Durga Puja

This week we have yet another short week (yes!) thanks to Durga Puja. It's a holiday that's primarily celebrated by Bengali Hindus that celebrates the return of the goddess Durga to her birthplace. It typically lasts about nine days, but in our case, we only get one day off--rats. But I'll be going to a predominantly Hindu village just outside of Dhaka tomorrow to celebrate Durga Puja and I'll be sure to report what goes on at the party. I won't be getting home until late though and am then I'm headed off to Cox's Bazar, which is in southeast Bangladesh near Burma. Cox's Bazar claims to have the longest sandy beach in the world, so I'm eager to see this classic Bangladeshi honeymoon spot.

In the meantime, I'm trying to convince my sister to start a blog, too. She's already famous in Richmond and I think she should expand her popularity by starting a blog of her own. She's got some interesting ideas and I know she'd be great at blogging. If you know her, you should try to encourage her, too. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your sister for becoming a Richmond celeb! All she has to do now is get involved with the Ukrop's family and she'll be set for life.

Also, I'm impressed that there are enough Fletcher people in Dhaka to have a reunion. Thanks again for convincing me to come here!

Julie said...

Thanks for the blog shout out, KB, and for the fun call today. I'll be working on a catchy name for said blog and hopefully I'll get the gumption to start it soon.

Hope all is well with you, Kent. Glad you're enjoying the good life at Fletcher. Let me know if you ever make it back to Richmond!

Katy said...

Ha! She's actually already in with the Ukrop's family and she regularly has lunch with Jim Ukrop's. She's a good person to know if you want to maintain those Richmond ties.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying life at Fletcher, Kent!